IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program is funded by the Simons Foundation, NY, USA and supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from African developing countries employed in Africa to travel to an internationally known mathematical center of excellence (worldwide) for collaborative research.
All travel and living expenses of the grantees will be covered by the fellowship up to 5,000 USD.
About IMU–Simons African Fellowship
The Simons Foundation is a private foundation based in New York City, incorporated in 1994 by Jim and Marilyn Simons. The Simons Foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences.
They sponsor a range of programs in the sciences, including grants programs in mathematics and the physical sciences.
The primary focus of the foundation’s Mathematics and Physical Sciences division is the theoretical sciences radiating from mathematics: in particular, the fields of mathematics, theoretical computer science and theoretical physics.
The “IMU – Simons African Fellowship Program” will run until 31.08 2022.
- The program supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from AFRICAN developing countries employed in AFRICA to travel to an Internationally known mathematical centre of excellence/ university (WORLDWIDE) for collaborative research.
- The program is not for any post graduate courses or post doctoral training but for a LIMITED RESEARCH PERIOD.
- The grant covers TRAVEL and BASIC LIVING COSTS of African mathematicians working in Africa (Specifically coming from a developing country, the definition of which is determined by the IMU for all its schemes) during the sabbatical.
The Grant Selection Committee (GSC) consists of the CDC Secretary for Grants Selection as Chair and has six other members, three from CDC and three others each representing Latin America, Africa and Asia respectively.
This program is administered by IMU-CDC and funded by the SIMONS Foundation
For all applicants applying for CDC funding for activities scheduled between June 1, 2020 and March 30, 2021:
Please note that we will request a confirmation letter from the head of department (where the activity is supposed to take place) confirming the dates of the planned activity.
Please also check if there are any travel warnings for specific countries before you apply for CDC funding.
How To Apply For IMU–Simons African Fellowship
In order to apply please take the following steps:
- Please fill out and submit the online application form for the IMU-Simons Programs.
- Upload all requested documents (two CVs: of the host and the applicant, detailed Research plan, invitation letter by the host institution, letter by the home institution, tentative budget details in USD) as 1 joint PDf to the Online Application Form.
- A picture of you for our website (upload separately to the Online Application Form) (The picture will be published on our website (like this: https://www.mathunion.org/cdc/grants/research-travel-grants/imu-simons-travel-fellowship/2018-awarded-imu-simons-africa) if the applicant is chosen, so PLEASE upload a NICE picture in good quality!)
If your application is NOT completed by the deadline, it CANNOT be considered for evaluation. Please send your application at least two weeks in advance so it can be checked.Online Application Form Tentative Budget FormBasic Application Requirements
For More Information:
Upcoming Deadlines for completed applications
- January 15th, 2021 for research visits between May 15th, 2021 and May 15th, 2022 (Decisions will be made by March 15th, 2021)
- April 15th, 2021 for research visits starting between August 1st, 2021 and August 1st, 2022 (Decisions will be made by June 15th, 2021)
- July 15th, 2021 for research visits starting between November 1st, 2021 and November 1st, 2022 (Decisions will be made by September 15th, 2021)
- October 1st, 2021 for research visits between January 15th, 2022 and January 15th, 2023 (Decisions will be made by November 15th, 2021)
We Believe This Article Was Helpful, Don’t Hesitate To Share This Information With Your Friends On Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and Google plus.
Disclaimer: The contents on this site is provided as an information guide only. They are intended to enhance public access to information about Education and other Endeavors. While every effort is made in preparing good information, no responsibility is accepted by or on behalf of this site for any errors, omissions or misleading statements. Although every effort is made to ensure the reliability of this site.
Copyright: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions & information purposes. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us via This Means to file a complaint & actions will be taken immediately.