The list of Nigerian schools offering civil engineering as a course is not a small one. Civil engineering, as an academic course in the sciences which is also one of the most lucrative professional occupations, a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including public works such as roads, bridges, canals, dams, airports, sewage systems, pipelines, structural components of buildings, and railways.
Apart from just being a course like every other one that can studied in the school, one reason for civil engineering is important is because it gives the chance to students to be able to acquire a lot of skills and dive into the resources of other science courses in the universities and every other school that offer it. It is the application of physical and scientific principles for solving the problems of society, and its history is intricately linked to advances in the understanding of physics and mathematics throughout history. Because civil engineering is a broad profession, including several specialized sub-disciplines, its history is linked to knowledge of structures, materials science, geography, geology, soils, hydrology, environmental science, mechanics, project management, and other fields.
Civil Engineering is considered the second-oldest engineering discipline after military engineering, and it is defined to distinguish non-military engineering from military engineering. The profession can be practiced and can take place in the public sector from municipal public works departments through to federal government agencies, and in the private sector from locally based firms to global Fortune 500 companies. This noble course is currently available in many schools in Nigeria where interested students or candidates who have grown strong interest in it as a lifelong ambition or career can really get the best of knowledge and training.
List of Nigerian Schools Offering Civil Engineering.
Civil Engineering as a course of study in schools in Nigeria is very nice course for you study in that it helps give the career opportunities for one to truly gain access into the labor market with a certain prominence in both public and private sectors. Some of the career opportunities for anyone who study Civil Engineering are Building control surveyor, CAD technician, Consulting civil engineer, Contracting civil engineer, Design engineer, Estimator, Nuclear engineer, Site engineer, Structural engineer, Water engineer, Building services engineer, Construction manager, Engineering geologist, Fire risk assessor, Geotechnical engineer, Patent attorney, Quantity surveyor, Sustainability consultant, Urban designer, etc.
So, if you have finally fallen in love with the idea of studying the course in Nigeria, these are the public and private universities offering the course:
1. Universities (Both Public and Private)
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akoko
- Adeleke University, Ede, Osun State
- Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti
- Ahmadu Bello university, Zaria
- University of Abuja
- Akwa-Ibom State University
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University
- Adeleke University, Ede
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University
- Bayero University
- Baze University, Abuja
- Bells University of Technology, Ota Ogun State
- University of Benin, Edo
- Benson Idahosa University
- Covenant University, Canaan Land
- Cross River University of Technology, Calabar
- Delta State University
- Elizade University, Ondo
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology, Enugu
- Federal University, Ndufu-Alike,
- Federal University, Otuoke
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
- Gregory University, Uturu, Abia State
- University of Ibadan, Ibadan
- Igbinedion University, Okada Benin City
- University of Ilorin, Ilorin
- Imo State University
- University of Jos
- Kebbi State University of Science and Technology
- Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil
- Kwara State University, Malete, Ilorin
- University of Lagos Akoka, Ikorodu
- LANDMARK – Landmark University
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomosho
- Madonna University
- University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri
- Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna
- Niger Delta University, Niger Delta
- Nigeria Turkish Nile University, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun State
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology, Okitipupa
- University of Port-Harcourt, Rivers State
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike Abia State
- Osun State University, Osun State
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
- University of Nigeria Nsukka
- University of Uyo, Uyo
- Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti
2. Polytechnics (Both Public and Private)
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING AS A COURSE IN NIGERIA
- O-Level (WAEC, NECO, GCE or NABTEB) requirements for the course compulsorily include a minimum of credit passes in subjects such as English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and one other science Courses.
- Candidates that are interested in Civil Engineering courses must meet the acceptable UTME requirements for the course. Candidates must be at least score 270 t0 300 to be able to study the course. However, it varies among schools.
Copyright Alert: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. In the case of re-publication in online platforms, proper acknowledgment include, but not limited to LINK BACK TO THE ARTICLE And proper REFERENCING in research usage. All contents are protected by Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).
If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us via This Means to file a complaint & actions will be taken immediately.