Eligibility to study Psychology in USA and Canada is an important information every international students should know before thinking to choose from the wide range of universities to study psychology diplomas as well as bachelor’s and master’s level psychology course in USA or Canada.
There are so many accredited Universities in United State and Canada to study psychology as bachelor’s, masters and doctoral level and the one you choose depends on a lot of factors.
You may also choose a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral program because of the institution and its location and other considerations such as tuition.
There are many good reasons to know the eligibility to study Psychology in USA or Canada to get a psychology degree. First of all, it’s required to practice psychology. It’s also one of the most popular undergraduate degrees in these countries.
Not everyone who studies psychology in the Universities in USA or Canada ends up working as a psychologist, but a psychology degree can open up many doors and pave the way for any number of careers in companies and organizations across these countries.
The main benefit of a psychology degree is that it will allow you to either do the kind of research you’re interested in or directly help people lead happier, more satisfying lives.
Even though psychology is one of the hardest course in the world, in your practice, you’ll learn new things every day, challenge your beliefs, and get to exercise your problem-solving skills to help others. What could be more rewarding than that?
Therefore, applicants who want to study in USA and Canada can take note of the following eligibility to study Psychology in USA and Canada:
Eligibility to Study Psychology in USA.
Studying Psychology in USA to obtain bachelor of science in Psychology will enable Students:
- To explore leading-edge issues about the brain, mind and behaviour from a scientific, psychological point of view emphasizing quantitative skills
- Prepare for interesting careers using psychology by working in functioning research laboratories studying the complexities of human and animal behaviour
- To study courses like: Foundations of behavior, social-behavioural Sciences (SB) and global Awareness (G) and genetic Psychology. Eligibility to study Psychology in USA includes:
1. Certified Certificate:
To study Psychology in USA, applicants must have earned a secondary or high school degree or higher from an institution that is officially Accredited, and whose sole medium of instruction for the degree program was in English.
- Applicants must have passed 12th with GPA of 3.0 GPA (a “B” or better where “A”=4.00) or equivalent or 50/100% or C1.
- Applicants must have studied the following subjects:
- Math: four years – algebra I, geometry, algebra II and one-course requiring algebra II as a prerequisite
- Laboratory Science: three years total (1 year each from any of the following areas are accepted: biology, chemistry, earth science, integrated sciences, and physics)
2. English Language Proficiency Requirements.
All international students are required to submit official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Pearson Test of English (PTE), or from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam.
Applicants who have completed a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited institution in the United States, or in countries (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom) where English is the native language may be exempt from the English-language proficiency test requirement.
The minimum acceptable scores on the TOEFL exam is 100 depending on the university for the internet test (95 for the online Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) program).
Registration materials for the TOEFL exam can be obtained from US consulates, embassies, binational centers, or the Educational Testing Service. Please have scores sent directly to the College of Arts and Sciences. Our TOEFL institutional code number is 5007. TOEFL scores are valid for two years.
The minimum acceptable IELTS score is 7.0. there is no department code or institutional code for IELTS. Please have scores sent directly to the College of Arts and Sciences. IELTS scores are valid for two years.
3. Financial Requirements.
All students must be able to demonstrate financial ability to pay for their academic and living expenses before being issued an immigration document.
- Financial Aid
Financial assistance for international students is available to students who wish to study Psychology in USA in the form of merit-based financial awards only.
International students seeking merit awards are encouraged to submit a complete application for admission by the appropriate deadline in order to receive consideration for a merit award.
Because the competition for merit awards is very rigorous, an award cannot be guaranteed. Furthermore, most of these merit awards do not cover the full cost of attendance to Universities in United State. Some of the financial aid organizations are listed below:
Eligibility to Study Psychology in Canada.
The eligibility and requirements to study Psychology in Canada includes:
- For bachelors, students have to complete 10+2 exams from a recognised education board.
- For masters, students need a bachelor’s degree in psychology or equivalent programme from a recognised university to qualify for admissions at Canadian universities.
- All students whose first language isn’t English must produce scores of English language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE etc to prove their merit.
- Competitive GRE scores or of other competitive exams accepted by the university.
- Recommendation letters and a statement of purpose are also essential.
Careers in Psychology Degree in USA and Canada.
Psychology careers in education
Psychology careers in research
Media and advertising careers
Human resources and communications careers
Business and management careers
We Believe This Article Was Helpful, Don’t Hesitate To Share This Information With Your Friends On Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp.
Disclaimer: The contents on this site is provided as an information guide only. They are intended to enhance public access to information about Education and other Endeavors. While every effort is made in preparing good information, no responsibility is accepted by or on behalf of this site for any errors, omissions or misleading statements. Although every effort is made to ensure the reliability of this site.
Copyright: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions & information purposes. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us via This Means to file a complaint & actions will be taken immediately.