Government of Ireland Scholarships 2023/2024 are the Fully Funded Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships Programme (GOI-IES) in Ireland.
The Higher Education Authority (HEA) is pleased to issue the 2023 Call under the Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships Programme. Under the initiative 60 scholarships will be provided for one year study at Masters or PhD levels to successful candidates who have an offer of a place at an eligible Irish higher education institution.
The offer is open to students from non-EU/EEA countries and is applicable to all fields of study.
The aim of the 2023 GOI-IES scheme is to reflect Ireland’s engagement in target partner countries. The scheme is operated in the higher education sector and funded in partnership between the Government of Ireland and the higher education institutions (HEIs). Scholarships are branded as prestigious awards reflecting the core messages about Ireland as a centre of international education, research and
innovation. It is expected that for every scholarship awardee, awareness of Ireland among many more potential students as a location of excellence in international will rise.
Candidates must demonstrate:
- A record of outstanding academic achievement
- Excellent communication skills;
- Participation in extra curriculum activities. For example: humanitarian work; politics either local, national or international; arts; sports;
- A strong rationale for pursuing their study in Ireland that indicates how a GOI-IES aligns with their longer-term goals.
Benefits for students:
Scholarships must be regarded as highly desirable and value adding to individuals’ subsequent lives and careers. In view of this, the GOI-IES will be awarded:
• to high calibre higher education students from non-EU/EEA countries.
• to students studying in Ireland for a period of one year.
Students who are successful will receive:
- A €10,000 stipend for one year’s study
- A full fee waiver of all tuition and other registration costs at the higher education institution
The HEA will award a scholarship to the student (through the HEI that the student is attending) amounting to €10,000 for one study year. This fund is directed at covering student costs and living expenses. The scholarship may be for:
one year of a taught master’s degree programme or;
one year of a research programme (e.g. one year of a 2-year research masters or a 3-4-year PhD programme).
- The scholarship stipend will be transferred to the host higher education institution (HEI) of the successful applicant. The HEI will then put in place a system to transfer the funds to the awardee.
- The HEI will be required to give a FULL fee waiver to the student for the scholarship year (i.e. tuition fee and registration charge are waived). This is the minimum matching funding requirement that institutions will be required to make to the scholarship scheme.
- It is expected that a total of 60 scholarships will be funded by the Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships for the
academic year 2023/2024.
How to Apply for Government of Ireland Scholarships 2023
- The call for applications will issue 14 December 2022 and the centralised application system is now live and accepting applications.
- The closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm on 24 March 2023 (Irish Time). Late applications will not be accepted.
- The application should be submitted via this link.
- Any questions regarding the call for applications should be submitted to GOIIES@hea.ie no later than 24 March 2023. Telephone queries cannot be accommodated.
- The HEA will advise the applicants and the HEIs of the outcome of the evaluation process by 1 June 2023.