How to Make Yeast from Potato & Raisin Fruit: Of course it is not all the time you need to pick stuff from a grocery store or going to store to buy your yeast. What’s the alternative? Try growing your own yeast by making a yeast substitute!
You can culture yeast at home using a few basic kitchen tools and household items. Once you have your items, you can begin to make your yeast, which will take some time and requires paying careful attention.
But, once you do get the technique down right, you’ll be able to make your own yeast whenever you need it, like for baking your own bread. Here are two methods that you need to get things done.
How to Make Yeast from Potato
Potatoes are an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals.
Potatoes are low in calories a medium-sized baked potato contains only about 110 calories. They are a good source of vitamins C and B6, manganese, phosphorus, niacin and pantothenic acid
- 1 unpeeled medium-sized potato
- 4 C warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1-quart jar
How to make it
- Rinse your potato to remove dirt, but don’t scrub it too much.
- Cut it into pieces to facilitate cooking, and then boil until cooked through.
- Drain, and save the water.
- Mash the potato and add sugar and salt.
- Allow mixture to cool until it is at room temperature.
- Add water to the potato mash until the whole mixture equals 1 quart.
- Cover and let sit in a warm place and allow it to ferment for several days.
- Boil 1 medium potato in unsalted water until done.Drain, but save the water.
- Mash the potato.Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and and a pinch of salt.
- Cool to lukewarm.Add enough potato water to make one quart of mixture.
- Cover and set in a warm place.Allow to ferment.
Note: If the starter is not rising, you can add a package of store bought yeast to speed up the process but it will be just as good if allowed to ferment without the added yeast.
How long does the potato yeast get to ferment?
Keep it overnight. However, it depends upon climate. If it is hot it will take less time to ferment and if it is cool it will take more time.
How do I get the yeast from the potato mixture after it has fermented?
Once the fermentation is going, you can skim the foam from the surface of the bowl. This will have active live yeast in it. From there, you might want to put it in a secondary culture of flour and water to increase the size of the culture before you pitch it into a batch of bread dough.
What temperature range is required?
30 – 40 degrees Celsius should be sufficient. The ‘optimal’ temperature is 38 degrees Celsius, but shouldn’t matter too much.
How to Make Yeast From Raisin Fruit
A raisin is a dried grape. Raisins are produced in many regions of the world and may be eaten raw or used in cooking, baking, and brewing.
Raisins are rich in dietary fiber, carbohydrates with a low glycemic index, and minerals like copper and iron, with a low fat content. Raisins are often recommended as a snack for weight control because they help the control of glucose, the good functioning of the digestive system and the regulation of blood pressure.
- Clean Glass jar. (24oz. or larger) Sterilize in hot water and allow it to dry.
- Clean, filtered, or bottled is good. Tap water can be used, depending on your local conditions. Warning: Too much chlorine in your water, or water that is too basic, can kill the yeast.
- Raisins or other fruit. Most fruits have traces of yeast on their skins. Note that you may not get as good of a result with fruit that has been washed and waxed.
- Place three to four tablespoons of raisins in your jar. Adding a few tablespoons of honey or sugar will facilitate the fermentation process.
- Fill the jar ¾ full with water. Place the lid on the jar lightly. Do NOT tighten the lid – you will want to allow some air to escape.
- Place jar at constant room temperature. Do not allow the jar to get cold. This will kill off the yeast and stop the process.
- Stir at least once a day for three to four days.
- When bubbles form on the top and you smell a wine-like fermentation you have yeast. The raisins, or fruit, should be floating.
- Place your new yeast in the refrigerator. Filter the yeast starter before using, according to the instructions below.
Importance of Yeast for Humans
Yeast takes part in the alcoholic fermentation of sugar molasses to alcohol and carbon dioxide. They are used in baking industries to make bread. They are used in the synthesis of protein, fat, vitamins and enzymes. Some yeast cells are used in the treatment of skin diseases.