Oju Local Government Area was one of the pioneer local governments among the Three Hundred and One (301) local government areas created as a product of the progressive and revolutionary local government reform of 1976 in Nigeria.
Oju local government of of the prominent local government in Benue State Nigeria. In Oju L.G.A, Igede are the dominant ethnic group in the local government and the people speak Igede dialect. The Igede people are accommodating and tolerant of visitors. They people make the non-indigenous tribes in the locality feel very welcomed and at home. Igede people at home have a rich culture that is a totality of the people’s way of life, heritage, language, history, geography and belief system. The traditional rulers have the mandate as custodians of the people’s culture to preserve and promote it, alongside the elders of the communities, individuals, and the local government authorities.
Overview of Oju Local Government Area
List of Popular Market in Oju
Oju currently has five popular markets, namely:
Religion Practice In Oju Local Government
Basically, there are two religions in Oju Local Government Area. The predominant Christianity on one hand and the traditional African religion on the other. The people of Oju are about eighty five percent (85%) Christians and about fifteen (15%) traditional worshippers.
Political Districts and Council Wards:
- Igede Central (Oju I) district / state constituency and
- Uwokwu (Oju II) district / state constituency
- Adokpa council ward
- Ibilla council ward
- Idelle council ward
- Iyeche council ward
- Oboru Oye council ward
- Oju council ward
- Okpokpo council ward
- Okudu council ward
- Owo council ward
- Ukpa council ward, and
- Ainu council ward
List of Executive Chairmen of Oju LGA from Inception
- Late Hon Ode Obaike – Executive Chairman – 1977 – 1979
- Mr John Ajah – Caretaker Chairman – 1979 – 1980
- Mr Sam Itachu – Caretaker Chairman – 1980 – 1981
- Mr Stephen Otor – Caretaker Chairman – 1981 – 1982
- Sir Benjamin Ugalahi – Caretaker Chairman – 1982 – 1983
- Mr Okanga J Adikpe – Caretaker Chairman – 1983
- Chief John Enyi – Caretaker Chairman – 1985 – 1987
- Chief John Enyi – Executive Chairman – 1987 – 1989
- Hon J Agwoke Oga – Sole Administrator – 1987
- Late Chief Oga Eba – Executive Chairman – 1991 – 1993
- Dr. Ogaga Agocha – Caretaker Chairman – 1994 – 1995
- Dr Edward Ochelle – Executive Chairman – 1996 – 1997
- Hon. David Ona – Executive Chairman – 1997 – 1998
- Hon Godwin Owulo – Executive Chairman – 1999 – 2002
- Mr Eje Idagwu Ogbaji – Caretaker Chairman – 2002 – 2003
- Mr Acha Otiyongo – Caretaker Chairman – 2003 – 2004
- Mr Joel Iji – Caretaker Chairman – 2004
- Hon Acha Atiyongo – Executive Chairman – 2004 – 2006
- Chief Dr. D Ulegede – Caretaker Chairman – 2006 – 2007
- Mrs Alice Eru – Caretaker Chairman – 2007
- Mr Oga Olagi – Caretaker Chairman – 2007 – 2008
- Chief Hon Paulinus G. Ochelle – Executive Chairman – 2008 – date
Oju L.G.A Agricultural Produce and Mineral Resources
The land is very fertile and about 80% of the inhabitants are farmers. Its rich and diverse agricultural endowment include: yam, rice, beni seed, guinea corn, palm, soya beans, cassava, millet, maize, groundnut, and palm oil.
The economy is dependent on agriculture (food and cash crops) produced in commercial quantity.
The people of Oju are also involved in: Livestock keeping, Fishing, and Hunting.
Oju Local Government Area reserves of solid minerals resources:
- Precious stone
- Zinc, and
List of Local Government and State that shares boundaries with Oju
- North: Obi and Gwer local government
- East: Konshisha local government
- West: Ado local local government
- To the South – Ebonyi and Cross River States of Nigeria
Now that you read and understand the overview, minerals resources and religion practice in Oju Local Government Area, If you feel this information is not complete kindly drop your contribution to the topic in our email box below.
We Believe This Article Was Helpful, Don’t Hesitate To Share This Information With Your Friends On Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and Google plus.
Disclaimer: The contents on this site is provided as an information guide only. They are intended to enhance public access to information about Education and other Endeavors. While every effort is made in preparing good information, no responsibility is accepted by or on behalf of this site for any errors, omissions or misleading statements. Although every effort is made to ensure the reliability of this site.
Copyright: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions & information purposes. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us via This Means to file a complaint & actions will be taken immediately.