Aalborg University in Denmark is inviting applications for PhD Scholarship in Molecular Biology in the 2020/2021 academic session.
The PhD position will focus on non-denitrifying N2O-reducing microorganisms in technical eco-systems.
Presence of non-denitrifying N2O reducing microorganisms in engineered wastewater treatment systems hold the potential to function as a sink for the produced nitrous oxide if provided the right conditions. In this project, we will investigate the ecophysiology of these microorganisms and find the optimal conditions for the removal of exogenous nitrous oxide. The ecophysiology will be studied directly in enriched bioreactors by the combined use of metagenomics and stable isotope probed proteomics (Protein-SIP). By studying the activity of the non-denitrifying N2O-reducing microorganisms during different perturbations, it is the aim to identify the optimal growth conditions. These optimal growth conditions will be used to provide fundamental knowledge for microbial management in modern wastewater treatment.
The candidate will be applying metagenomics and mass spectrometry to study biological composition of microbial communities. The candidate will be expected to run controlled experiments for functional screening of the microbiomes, isolates and constructed libraries. Non-denitrifying N2O-reducing microcosms will be developed together with external partners.
PhD Scholarship in Molecular Biology Eligibility:
- PhD stipends are allocated to individuals who hold a Master’s degree. PhD stipends are normally for a period of 3 years.
- The qualifications of the applicant will be assessed by an assessment committee. On the basis of the recommendation of the assessment committee, the Dean of the Technical Faculty of IT and Design will make a decision for allocating the stipend.
- Documented skills in scientific dissemination of results will be an asset.
- The candidate is expected to have practical experience with various OMICS technologies (primarily genomics and proteomics) and the bioinfomatic interpretation hereof.
- Expertise on the characterization of complex microbial communities will be an asset.
Worth of Award
- It is a prerequisite for allocation of the stipend that the candidate will be enrolled as a PhD student at the Technical Doctoral School of IT and Design in accordance with the regulations of Ministerial Order No. 1039 of August 27, 2013 on the PhD Programme at the Universities and Certain Higher Artistic Educational Institutions.
- According to the Ministerial Order, the progress of the PhD student shall be assessed every six months.
- It is a prerequisite for continuation of salary payment that the previous progress is approved at the time of the evaluation.
How to Apply For PhD Scholarship in Molecular Biology:
- The application is only to be submitted online by using the “Apply online” button
- For further information about stipends and salary as well as practical issues concerning the application procedure contact Ms. Ruth Klitte, The Faculty of Engineering and Science, email: email@example.com
Deadline: Application closes on August 9, 2020.