The list of departments under the ministry of education in Nigeria comprises the basic, secondary and yes the tertiary sections where the policies are formulated for the advancement and progress of academic conditions, goals, and objectives in the country.
The FME in Nigeria is part of the Federal Ministries of Nigeria that directs education in Nigeria. With its location around the Shehu Shagari Way, Central Area, Garki, Abuja, its activities are overseen by the newly appointed minister in August this year. The overall control is still in the hand of the Federal president of Nigeria.
The ministry of education in Nigeria has only one goal and that is, to use education as a tool for fostering the development of all Nigerian citizens to their full potentials, in the promotion of a strong, democratic, egalitarian, prosperous, indivisible and indissoluble sovereign nation under God. Its general list of functions as generally understood comprises the following:
- Formulating a national policy on education.
- Collecting and collating data for purposes of educational planning and financing.
- Maintaining uniform standards of education throughout the country.
- Controlling the quality of education in the country through the supervisory role of the Inspectorate Services Department within the Ministry.
- Harmonizing educational policies and procedures of all the states of the federation through the instrumentality of the National Council on Education.
- Effecting co-operation in educational matters on an international scale.
- Developing curricula and syllabuses at the national level in conjunction with other bodies.
However, the list of departments under the ministry of education in Nigeria includes:
The department of Higher education was created in November 2000, from an existing Department of Formal Education and its initial mandate was to take charge of University Education.
In March 2003, all aspects of higher education were moved into the new Department. The name was changed to “Tertiary Education” in December 2006 as a result of the initiatives of the Reform. The current Director of the Department is Mrs. Hindatu Umar Abdullahi.
Its roles are:
- Establishment of new Federal Tertiary Education Institutions or take-over existing State Tertiary Institutions in collaboration with relevant Agencies.
- Supervision of the Parastatals in the Tertiary Education sector.
- Coordinating the performance of the Visitor’s role in Federal Tertiary Institutions.
- Organizing and coordinating Visitation Panels to Federal Tertiary Institutions every four years in accordance with the law.
Other Departments or Parastatals under this Ministry are:
- National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), Kaduna.
- National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE), Abuja.
- National Universities Commission (NUC), Abuja.
- National Board for Arabic and Islamic Studies (NBAIS), Kaduna.
- Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), Abuja.
- National Commission for Nomadic Education (NCNE), Abuja.
- National Commission for Adult Education Mass Literacy and Non-Formal Education (NMEC), Abuja.
- Nigerian Educational Research and Development Council (NERDC), Sheda, FCT.
- Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Bwari, Abuja.
- West African Examination Council (WAEC), Lagos.
- National Examination Council (NECO), Minna, State.
- National Business and Technical Examinations Board (NABTEB), Benin-city, Edo.
- National Institute for Educational Planning & Administration (NIEPA), Ondo.
- National Teachers Institute (NTI Archived 2022-05-26 at the Wayback Machine), Kaduna.
- Nigerian Mathematical Centre (NMC), Sheda, FCT.
- Nigerian French Language Village (NFV)Badagry, Lagos.
- Nigerian Arabic Language Village (NALV) Ngala, Borno.
- National Institute for Nigerian Languages (NINLAN) Aba, Abia.
- Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TET FUND), Abuja.
- National Library of Nigeria (NLN), Abuja.
- Teachers’ Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN), Abuja.
- Computer Professionals Registration Council of Nigeria (CPN), Lagos.
- Federal Scholarship Board, Abuja.
- Librarians’ Registration Council of Nigeria (LRCN), Abuja
Copyright Alert: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. In the case of re-publication in online platforms, proper acknowledgment include, but not limited to LINK BACK TO THE ARTICLE And proper REFERENCING in research usage. All contents are protected by Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).
If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us via This Means to file a complaint & actions will be taken immediately.