Okra Soup Recipe In Nigeria (also known as Okro soup or Lady’s finger soup) is a delicious soup popular in several parts of the world. It is also a popular Nigerian Soup and known as Ofe Okwuru (Igbo), Obe Ila (Yoruba ), Miyan Kubewa in Hausa language.
Some folks love their okra soup chunky, while others want it smooth, but all that really matters is that the soup comes out tasty and delicious.
This easy and healthy recipe is completely oil-free can be served with “swallow” or eaten alone. The mackerel and smoked mackerel add flavour and richness to the simple recipe with minimal ingredients.
Okra soup is very easy to prepare and you don’t need to break the bank or have any cooking skills to make a delicious sizzling pot of okra soup. The question here is, what is the best ingredients for making okra soup in Nigeria? Below you’ll see how easy it is to make Okra Soup Recipe In Nigeria including the best ingredients for making it. Once preps are done, this dish is ready in about 20 minutes.
Season the beef and mackerel and cook together, remove the mackerel and continue to cook the meat till it becomes soft.
Add the washed stockfish and add to the cooking meat, allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
Add ground crayfish, palm oil, 1 seasoning cube, pepper and salt to taste.
The sliced okra should be added at this point, stir. drop the cooked mackerel fish on top.
Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes and you are done with this delicious soup.
Okra soup can be paired with fufu or eba.
Ingredients For Okra Soup Recipe In Nigeria
- 500 grams Fresh Okro/Okra (Washed and sliced)
- 1 large Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Yellow Scotch Bonnet Peppers (Nsukka pepper) (Finely Chopped)
- 3 Tbsp Ground Crayfish
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Stock Cubes (4 grams each)
- 1/2kg fresh Titus(About 1 whole, washed and sliced)
- 1 Large Smoked Mackerel (Titus) (Peeled and deboned and left in large chunks)
- 1 ½ Cups Water
How To Prepare Okro Soup In Nigeria
- Prep all ingredients as stated.
- Add the water into a medium pot or saucepan and place over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion, yellow scotch bonnet, crayfish, salt and stock cubes, bring to a boil and allow to simmer, covered for about 5 minutes.
- Add fresh mackerel slices to liquid mix, cover and cook mackerel for about 5 minutes then carefully remove mackerel and set aside.
- Add Okro to liquid mix and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time (you don’t want to overcook your Okro as a slight crunch is preferred. If you prefer your Okro much softer, cook a few more minutes longer).
- Carefully stir in smoked mackerel chunks and cooked mackerel slices. Allow to heat up, about 3 minutes.
- Take off the heat and serve with your preferred accompaniment or on its own.
Okra soup is usually served with pounded yams, eba, fufu , tuwo masara, wheat meal and other ”swallow meals”.